As we embark on our 2nd “stab” at the official TOK presentation IA), there are some helpful planning documents that will keep you on track. Remember that officially, a Planning Doc must be turned in via Managebac to the IB (we’ll go over this in class).
Basically, you will be asked to evaluate yourself and you will be evaluated by the TOK teacher. We’ll also add the “backchannelling” component via Twitter, so that members of the audience can give you feedback and become more engaged.
*Your presentation will be recorded.
The planning doc includes these questions:
1. What is the real -life situation? (see http://ericmacknight.com/ibtok/?page_id=187 fro examples)
2. What are the knowledge issues or isse? (Must be in the form of an open-ended question) *Refer to the UNIT GUIDES on this blog
3. How do you plan to deal with/ treat the knowledge issues?
Of course, there is much more to this, so I hope these PDFS will help.
Great places to start:
PBS Idea Channel on YouTube
example: Is Google Knowledge?
above : sketchnotes from @Braddo using Paper53 app
PARTNER OR GROUP OF 3 PRESENTATION (or alone if you wish):
CHOOSING your TOPIC: One suggestion is to choose an AOK or WOK you enjoy, then narrow in on one of the open-ended questions available on the Unit Plans (which can be accessed as files in ManageBac for this course).
PERUSE the Diigo and Delicious lists of things I’ve curated about all kinds of AOKs, WOKS, and Knowledge Issues (and this one from Mr. Ferlazzo). Choose ONE that seems interesting to you both and prepare a presentation for the class. You may use any sort of presentation tool such as Google Slideshow, PowerPoint, film, skit Prezi, Projeqt, Vuvox, etc.
– How has technology changed the functioning and role of the senses? (Sense Perception as a WOK)
– Can a machine have emotion? (Emotion as a WOK)
– How do stereotypes and prejudice relate to reason? (Reason as a WOK)
– What role does remix and mashup – collective creativity and transformation – play in the ARTS?
– Are humans the only species who make and appreciate ART (including music)? How do we know?
– How does LITERATURE (ARTS) help us understand human nature?
– How should HISTORY be taught?
– What does symmetry have to do with notions of beauty (MATH)?
– How has technology affected the NATURAL SCIENCES?
– How do HUMAN SCIENTISTS identify patterns in human behavior and what are the implications of understanding those patterns?
– Does History show we’ve made MORAL progress (ETHICS)?
***Refer to the “Presentation” section in your TOK textbook, pp.276-281. For MORE TIPS, SEE: http://mumbai.locanto.in/ID_125306511/Nine-tips-on-good-TOK-presentations-Essay-Tutors-Examples-Sample.html
***This year pleas refrain from having partners in another class – it is just too difficult to schedule
You should do the following in your presentation:
a. give us an overview of the article or video
b. identify at least 1 knowledge question or issue in the article or video (***should be in the form of an open-ended question, with the question about knowledge itself)
c. icorporate examples from personal life (knower’s perspective), or show clear personal involvement
d. discuss the implications of knowledge
e. show different perspectives and/or connections to other subjects (Areas of Knowledge) or Ways of Knowing – the linking questions above have some categories
f. try spend at least 10 minutes per person talking/presenting (that is a TOk requirement)
PLANNING DOC (also in MB)
Click HERE (you will have to make a copy in Google Drive)
Introduce and start Perusing: Sept. 19 and 20
PLAN DUE (plus work time to build presentation and/or conference with teacher): Sept. 27 and Oct. 1(for Lunch)
Start Presentations: Oct. 7
Presentations Dates (tentative) : Oct. 7 ( A day); Oct. 9 (D day); Oct. 11 (N day); Oct.17 (A day); Oct. 21 (D Day); Oct. 23 (N day); Oct. 25 (A day)