Welcome back to school!
We are now embarking on our trip through Sense Perception as a Way of Knowing. To get us back into the groove of being at school, I thought it would be interesting to do a few activities to get our creative juices flowing and force us to be more aware of how our senses contribute to our knowledge, as well as interact with other Ways of Knowing such as Language, Emotion, and Reasoning.
Part I (10 min)
Use this Google Spreadsheet to brainstorm the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feelings (touch, not emotion) of the Holiday Break. The challenge is to think of as many as we can and to be specific and detailed – maybe even poetic!
Part II (35 min MAX)
By yourself or with a group of up to 4, walk around campus on a scavenger-hunt of sorts for sensory data we normally overlook.
You can focus on one or 2 senses, or all 5 if you like.
Your theme can be something like : “Hidden Sights of LJA” or “Overheard at LJA” OR perhaps something more abstract like: “Growth”, or “Solitude”.
Task: As you walk around, take photos AND/OR video with your device. It should be something you can easily and quickly upload to YouTube. Stick to your theme or just do a random archive of everything you sense.
Part III (rest of period)
Make a short film. (key: quickly produced)
1. Upload footage and/or stills directly to your YouTube acct. (choose one member)
2. Edit using the built-in Editing tools in YouTube. (called “Video Editor”) OR WeVideo in YouTube Create (images below) OR Stupeflix (I have an account and can invite students individually to join it on a temp basis)
Stupeflix (let me know)
3. the key is to make your editing artistic but fast – you should be pretty much finished by the end of class.
4. Don’t forget a title – it should set the tone.
5. Publish to YouTube (all members should post to blogs)