First off, here is the SCAVENGER HUNT/STUDY GUIDE you need to do as you read the section (pp.64-89) on Reasoning as a Way of Knowing in Chapter 2. Please post answers on your blog and check the due date for your class in Managebac.
GOOGLE DOC LINK (You can view, but not edit) – one idea is to copy/paste each question to your blog
Dan Ariely: Is there there a pattern to human reasoning?
Some questions to ponder:
– How do we reason?
– What is the significance and power of reasoning?
– How do we learn to reason? What tools do we use in order to reason?
– How does reasoning differ from the other Ways of Knowing?
– What is the role of Reason in Science and other areas of Knowledge?
– How do we use “deductive” and “inductive” reasoning?
– What is the difference between “validity” and “truth”?
– How do we effectively make counter-claims?
– How do we creatively reason?
– How and why do we classify?
– How do stereotypes and prejudice relate to reason?
– What constitutes a “good reason” for belief?
argument ad ignorantium
fallacy (logical fallacy)
vicious circle / cycle
Thought Experiments- Animated Shorts